Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
Comments are moderated due to spam. This means you might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies

Pagan Magic said:

Fluffy bunnies is a term that has been defined in many ways - such as:

"A fake wiccan, usually in their teens, with little or no information about the religion."

"Used as a derogatory term for someone who is ignorant, wilfully ignorant and/or disrespectful towards Wicca yet claims to be Wicca."

"Often a teen who becomes 'Wicca' in order to follow a fad, also known as 'McWiccans'. Often identified by their oversized pentagrams, 'gothic' clothing and the belief that spells given to them by other Fluffy Bunnies online have some sort of power."

As followers of the path, what are your feelings to people who may fall into these categories? Is the term 'Fluffy Bunny' appropriate or is it derogatory? Should we live and let live - or are these people causing damage to the craft? What support could and should be offered? Have you encountered a 'fluffy bunny' and what experiences have you had.

This question has not been posed to cause aggravation or incite hatefulness against those new to paganism.

All opinions are welcome, but please do not flame those with differing viewpoints. Looking forward to hearing from you.



I said:

'Fluffy bunnies' sounds scornful to me. The craft can take care of itself, no matter how others view it — hasn't it always?

I am also not keen on the word 'wannabe'. What's wrong with wanting something?

Before discovering witchcraft, I explored shamanism, and while still learning I deliberately called myself a shaman. This shocked a friend who felt I was being arrogant or disrespectful. What I was meaning to do was throw the label out in front of me as something to 'live into'. If I went public with it, I couldn't get cold feet and sneak away, if you see what I mean. It worked, too.  Maybe these kids are just doing something like that. They have to start somewhere, and we all learn as we go

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.