Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
Comments are moderated due to spam. This means you might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Should Magick Be Viewed in Terms of Black and White?

Pagan Magic said:

When people discover that I am a witch, they often say rather cautiously 'But you are a white witch aren't you?' Should magick be viewed in terms of black and white, is there room for grey magick? How do you define black or white magick? All opinions are welcome, but please do not flame those with differing viewpoints. Looking forward to hearing from you.



I said:

Magick is energy. Magick is a tool. As someone already indicated, electricity can be useful or harmful. The same might be said of fire, or a knife. But I get sick of trying to explain that, so sometimes accept the 'white witch' label.

If we have to have a colour, I like the concept of the 'green witch', focusing on care for the environment — but then, it's my idea that all witches revere nature, that that is the core of what we are.

I am fond of saying that ours is the most rigorous code of ethics, with our one rule of 'Harm none', obliging us to consider every individual piece of behaviour.  And, like everyone else, we can only do the best we can. No-one can foresee all consequences of their actions. But it's good that we at least think about the possibilities.

So intention is doubly important! (Necessary for powerful workings, and crucial for ethical considerations.)

Sometimes my intentions might be considered a bit 'grey'. In a fairly empty cinema, I have been known to prevent anyone sitting directly in front of my husband and me. (We are short people.) I guess that's a bit of an interference in people's free choice — but it's not as if there aren't plenty of other choices available. And although I don't do hexing, I certainly do spells of binding at times, to prevent people who are doing harm from continuing to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.